This is the first draft of the mimic panel layout. The large red circles are the buttons to change the points, the small red circles are red LED’s to indicate point settings, and the yellow LED’s will (eventually) show when a train is present on each section.
I finally installed a length of conduit under the “narrow” section, to (hopefully) invisibly carry the wires between the sections of layout. Unfortunately, I’d not fully decided how to do this BEFORE making the narrow section, so it was three times the work after…
The first points are now fixed – the holes in the baseboard are for the point “motors”.
A small cork sheet is “sandwiched” between the point and the (pre-wired) motor, then glued to the baseboard. I found it easiest to use a bit of double sided tape to stick the point to the cork sheet first.
Once the junk from the old TV table had been moved to the new shelves, the second baseboard could be constructed. This sits on a similar frame to the first baseboards. Again, the edges will eventually be covered by a pine moulding.